GECET® Expandable Engineering Resin grades F-100, F-200 and F-300 are high-temperature expandable products applicable for use in the manufacturing of a wide variety of foam parts for energy management, insulation, point of display structures and other applications.
GECET foam are a blend of Polystyrene and Polyphenylene Oxide (PS/PPO). GECET performance resins, energy management foam, are currently in production for safety applications like automotive side impact protection, head impact protection, knee protection, and for applications where high heat resistance is required.
GECET expandable engineering resins are high performance foamed polymers offering exceptional impact energy management and other superior physical properties at elevated temperatures. GECET resins may be molded in a wide range of densities that enable GECET parts to be custom tailored for specific applications. All GECET grades are black-pigmented beads with an unexpanded particle size of 0.4 to 1.0 mm.
Follow these links to see several comparitive physical properties graphs relating to stress/strain comparative deflection EPP deflection GECET deflection
GECET® Foams are used in watercraft, automotive, E-PAC and sports & recreation for the following reasons (to learm more about these applications just click the links).
- GECET Foam parts are 20% and 40% lighter than equavalent stiffness EPP and PU Foam parts respectively.
- Dimensional Tolerances for GECET Foam parts are plus and minus 0.5% as compared to plus and minus 2% for EPP Parts.
- Piece price of an eqavalent stiffenss GECET part can be up to 20% lower than EPP Foam part due to lighter weight and lower Processing cost .
- GECET Foam has almost zero performance loss up to the end use temeratures(212-250F) whereas performance loss with EPP Foam part is up to 40% at 150F.
- GECET Foam is an ideal material to use in Watercraft, E-PAC and Sport and Recreation applications due to light weight, tight dimensional tolerances and lower piece price.
- GECET Foam is approved to be used in GM, Ford, Toyota, Daimler Chrysler, BMW and Mitsubushi for energy mangement parts
GECET Product Line and existing automotive applications
F-100 General Purpose Material
- Recommended temp range -40C to 100C
- Effective density range 2.25 pcf - 10.0 pcf
- Approved at Toyota, Mitsubishi, General Motors and Daimler Chrysler.
- Typical uses are head, knee and side impact protections.
- Head Protection Applications: Toyota Sequoia, Tundra, Mitsubishi Eclipse,
- BMWX5 Sport, Sebring, Durango
- Knee Protection Application: GMT610
- Side Impact Protection: Seville, Sebring
- Load Floor Core for Magnum of Daimler Chrysler
F-200 Medium Heat Resistance Material
- Recommended temp range -40C to 110C
- Effective density range 3.5 pcf - 15.0 pcf
- Approved at General Motors, Ford Motor Co. and Daimler Chrysler
- Typical uses are knee blockers, foot/heal absorber, side impact protection (pusher) and fillers in instrument panel
- Side Impact Protection: Monte Carlo, Intrigue
- Foot Pads: Lincoln LS, Thunderbird, PT-Cruiser, Viper, Neon, Grand Cherokee
- IP Fillers: Lumina
- Seat back: Corvette
F-300 High Heat Resistance Material
- Recommended temp range -40C to 120C
- Effective density range 4.5 pcf - 20.0 pcf
- Approved at General Motors and Daimler Chrysler.
- Typical uses are Instrument Panel substrate/Fillers
- IP Filler: Impala, Monte Carlo
- IP Substrate: Jeep Cherokee
- Knee Bolster: Saturn small car
- Bumper fascia: Cadillac Seville & Eduardo - Front and Rear
The following data provides a reference for the three GECET resin grades.
GRADE MINIMUM RECOMMENDED EXPANDED DENSITY lbs / ft³ (kg / m³) MAXIMUM RECOMMENDED END-USE TEMPERATUREF (C) FLAMMABILITY RATING MVSS-302 UL-94.
- F-100 2.0 (32) 210 (100) Pass.
- F-200 3.5 (56) 230 (110) Pass HBF1,2.
- F-300 4.5 (72) 250 (120) Pass HBF3.
GECET Non-Automotive Applications
- Biomedical Packaging
- Sterilizable Medical Shipping Trays
- High Heat Resistance parts for Air-Conditioners/Heaters
- Modular Office Furniture and Vending Machines
- Water Sports Equipment
- Roofing Shingles For Housing
- Heating Ducts
- Artificial Logging For Fire Place